Protein Powder is one of the most popular supplements sold to fitness enthusiasts as well as anyone looking to up their protein intake but is protein powder better than lean meat? Also which is more cost effective?
These are two of the questions Drew Smith will talk about on this episode of Under Ten Fitness. Plus a new feature on the show where we will review different protein powders.
Under review this week is a protein from True Nutrition.
I’ve decided to rate different proteins on 5 different categories – Taste, Drink-ability, Nutrition, Price and Company.
1. Taste/Texture – This protein was not the best tasting protein I’ve ever had and to be honest it’s actually pretty bad. I mixed the protein with water so that does have a little to do with the taste. When you mix these types of powder with milk they typically taste better. However despite the taste it wasn’t an overwhelming flavor it was actually very mild and it did not have an after taste which saved this protein from scoring a complete zero on the scale.
Taste/Texture 1 out of 5 kettle bells.
2. Drink-ability – When it comes to choosing a protein it ultimately boils down to the question “can you drink it?” This protein, while lacking flavor, was pretty easy to drink. It dissolved in water very quickly and if you drank it fast enough you might not even taste it at all.
3. Nutrition – This is the most important aspect of protein powder. I prefer my protein powders with as little ingredients as possible with little to no sugar. This protein is pretty much just that! You can count all of the ingredients on one hand.
4. Price – Protein can cost anywhere from $7.00 per pound to $30.00 per pound. When I find myself picking out a protein I have a hard time parting with my money so the cheaper the better!
5. Company – There are tons of different brands of protein and with all of the choices. I like to spend my money at companies I believe in and also that I feel are doing the best to serve their customers. I believe True Nutrition is a great company and am happy to spend my money with them. they have tons of choices and you are able to customize your orders to best serve you. Plus they use bags to ship their products and try to use as little packaging as possible to help save waste.
Summary – While this protein wasn’t the best tasting I do believe their are some redeeming qualities. It gets the job done, it doesn’t have a horrific after taste and it’s cheap! I will definitely purchase from this company again. Next time I will purchase a protein with a little more ingredients so it will be more flavorful and also I forgot to mention that you can completely customize your own protein. On the website you can choose the option to create your own blend so next time I could add a little more spice to the “whey saver” brand and still walk away with a really great tasting protein at a great price!
And as always remember – Stay Motivated!