Now on Air at 93.9 KCMJ!
Welcome to our very first episode on 93.9 KCMJ. We would like to thank everyone who has worked very hard on getting this radio station up and running and we at Under Ten Fitness are very honored and excited to be a part of the station!
Today on the show we talk Progressions and how some small changes to your program might have a very large impact. Here are a few examples of what you could do right away to see some extra results from your training.
- Add more weight – This seems very simple however it is a good way to test the results you are having in the gym. Over a period of time you can slowly add weight and while tracking your sessions you will see your improvement over time.
- Vary the reps and sets – Increasing the reps by two or three can make a huge difference! Or decreasing the reps and adding an extra set can be beneficial as well.
- Change your starting exercise – If you typically start with flat bench in the gym you can try starting with another exercise such as shoulder press or wide grip bench press. When your muscles are fatigued and you do a workout that your used to doing fresh it’s like a whole new workout!
- Slow down the tempo – If you focus on how long it takes you to complete one rep you might be surprised at how quickly you actually get done with a set. I’ve seen people complete a set of 12 reps in 10 seconds or less and slowing down those reps can really be challenging. Try doing a set for thirty seconds and instead of counting reps set a timer. This is a great way to build muscle!
For a more detailed description of each listen to this podcast.
The Skinny – We tell you what’s happening in the fitness industry:
- A college is requiring all freshman to wear fit-bits as part of their schooling as a way to help with weight gain AKA, the freshman fifteen
- Research study on a high protein diet that shows lean muscle gains and fat loss
- Protein potato chips! Quest Protein has created a new low carb high protein chip.
Twitter Questions – Brittany and Drew answer questions on twitter including the question how to eat pizza and lose weight at the same time?
The answer to this question is moderation. You can eat all of the tasty treats that the world has to offer but in a way that isn’t detrimental to your health. One of the greatest accomplishments a person can achieve is the self-control to indulge in one slice of pizza and not five. This is done by remembering that your body is something to be respected.
Also, on the show we play a little fitness trivia, can you name three sports that don’t use a ball?
Finally, on the show we talk with a member of the board of directors from “Teens with Promise.” This is a non-profit organization in Colorado Springs that helps teenagers who might be homeless find housing. Another great thing they do is help teen girls find a beautiful prom dress which they can rent for $5.00! This organization offers so much to the community.
If you would like to know more, you can check out the links to the research we found for this episode:
The Power Of Habit By Charles Duhigg: http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/
Teens with Promise: http://teenswithpromise.org/
And as always remember – Stay Motivated!